Uprising in Syria

As some of you reading this may know, for the past few years there have been a string of violent uprisings in the Middle East. Syria, Egypt and Lybia are among the few experiencing these revolutions. All have one thing in common: Oppressive governments that the people are trying to get rid of. Like most oppressive governments do, they immediately tried to stomp out these protests, often with brute force. But the people refuse to give up. Syria is a perfect example. The Syrian “rebels” have been fighting the Syrian regime for a few years now, trying to gain power and form a better government. It has been a bloody civil war to say the least but what has recently caught the news is the alleged use of chemical weapons on the part of the Syrian government. America, along with the rest of the world warned the Syrian regime that if they use these weapons capable of unbelievable destruction, there would be repercussions. Only a short time later, the world discovered that the Syrian government did in fact use chemical weapons on the public, consequently killing hundreds of innocent people – many of them children. When confronted about it, the Syrian regime refused to let U.N. inspectors investigate the allegations. The U.N. eventually did gain access to the site but only after weeks of secrecy – ample amount of time for the regime to constantly shell the site and get rid of all the incriminating evidence.

On August 26, 2013, the New York Times published a story that details Secretary of State John Kerry’s certainty that chemical weapons were used. He, along with much of the U.S. government, talked about possible military intervention with long range missile strikes and bombardments. Now many Americans, myself included, want to know what the U.S. intends to do about this. As a political and militaristic force, America has sat on the sidelines while atrocities were committed on more than one occasion. I hope that this is not another one of those moments.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23844643

3 thoughts on “Uprising in Syria

1. This is a complicated issue with many sides to take. Personally, most of me believes that the US should not get involved in yet another conflict. Almost every “police action” the US has taken since (and including) Vietnam has ended badly. More American lives were lost than there should have been, and public support for these actions were mostly low. I do not think that the US should try to solve the world’s problems when we have problems of our own.

However, letting someone gas their own people and get away with it sets a pretty bad precedent for the international community. Maybe our problems are not as bad as the problems going on in Syria. Maybe their human rights are more important than our economic troubles. I am very divided about this issue.

2. I read the same article… and I am not too happy. I personally think the US should not get involved because its a Civil War. I also am mad because my brother got the Dream Act and one of the conditions was that he had to sign up to join the army if this country goes to war.